Spokesperson: Louth McDonald’s progress has ‘paused temporarily’

A McDonald’s spokesperson has told the Leader that progress on their Louth site has “paused temporarily”, following widespread rumours on social media.

McDonald's (stock image)

Several residents contacted the Leader after seeing rumours on social media earlier this week, which had suggested that McDonald’s may have been planning to pull out of the scheme on the Fairfield Industrial Estate and be replaced with a KFC restaurant instead.

A McDonald’s spokesperson told the Leader: “Progress on the Louth site has paused temporarily while we finalise conversations with the landowner.”

The spokesperson did not provide any further details or information regarding the ‘temporary pause’.

It is understood that, before the coronavirus pandemic struck last Spring, the McDonald’s restaurant had been expected to open towards the end of last year.

The fast food chain had previously stated that their new restaurant, just off the A16 near the Shell Garage, is expected to create around 65 new jobs.

• The KFC press office has not yet provided a comment to the Leader at the time of publication (Thursday lunchtime).