Second pupil tests positive for Covid-19 at Sleaford high school

A Sleaford school has reported a second, unrelated positive case of coronavirus for a pupil.

Kesteven and Sleaford High School. EMN-200925-165229001

Last Friday (September 18) Kesteven and Sleaford High School leaders announced that all 143 pupils in Year 8 should not return to school for seven days after a pupil in the year group had received news that day that she had tested positive for Covid-19.

The Year 8 student was last in school on Friday September 11 and began feeling unwell that evening.

Head of School Josephine Smith said Year 8 students would be able to return on Monday September 28. “This is because students should isolate for 14 days after contact with a student displaying symptoms.”

She said Year 8 students had remained in their ‘bubble’ since the start of term and only had passing contact with other students in other year groups around the school site. The student had no other siblings in any other secondary school in the town and does not travel to school by bus.

However, yesterday (Thursday), the school announced it was not allowing Year 11 pupils into school after receiving news of a confirmed positive test for Covid-19 for a Year 11 student.

Mrs Smith said the girl was last in school on Tuesday, September 22 and began feeling well that evening. “We have been alerted to this today,” she said.

“We know that you may find this concerning but we are continuing to monitor the situation and have worked closely with Public Health England.”

She reassured parents that for most people Covid-19 is a mild illness. “Public Health England feel that this case is not linked to the case in Year 8 and is most likely to be due to community transmission.”

Year 11 pupils have been asked to self-isolate from today (Friday) and not return to school until Monday, October 5.

She said the students had remained in their ‘bubble’ and the pupil does not have siblings at any school in town or travel to school by bus.

Any child that develops symptoms during this period should continue to isolate for 10 days from the date they appear.

The school has already introduced a ruling that students must wear face coverings in corridors and communal areas indoors, but can take them off in classes.

Mrs Smith added in her latest newsletter: “I have been really impressed by the mature and measured response of students to our new rules on face coverings and their compliance with all our safety protocols.

“Furthermore I have been proud of all the Year 8 teachers this week for embracing the positives of live lesson delivery. Thank you for

the several kind messages of support and acknowledgment from Year 8 parents who I hope have not been too inconvenienced as they have again juggled work, family life and self-isolation.”

She went on: “Live lessons will take place each lesson for Year 11 next week with attendance by students monitored and an expectation, not an option.

“At the same time as adapting many aspects of how they engage students in the classroom, staff have also been undertaking more training this week on remote lesson delivery. They have also given generously of their time to provide students with the best possible extra-curricular schedule for students to sign up for.

“In almost all activities we are maintaining strict year groups bubbles, however in a very small number of activities such as music making, we feel that with some very tight controls we can continue to offer the right balance between safety and educational development.”

Cranwell Primary School had to send a learning bubbble home last week after having a confirmed case at the school when a pupil tested positive.

Other classes outside that bubble continued and pupils and staff in the learning bubble were expected to return from self isolation yesterday (Thursday).

Pupils have also returned to Ancaster Primary School in years 1 and 4 after a pupil in each year group was confirmed positive for Covid. Staff and pupils returned to school from isolation on Tuesday, September 22.