Students: make sure you have a TV licence

As young adults from our area prepare to leave their homes and head off to university, TV Licensing is reminding new students to sign up for a TV licence.

TV Licensing

The law still applies to students living away in halls or shared accommodation, and a TV licence is required to watch programmes as they are being shown on TV live or watching on iPlayer.

TV Licensing spokes-person for the East Midlands, Rachel Roberts, said: “While the fresher week experience will be very different this year, we know that young people love the shared experience of television and that it’s a great way to bond with new friends.

“With thousands of hours of quality drama, reality TV, live sport and music available, we don’t want students leaving home for university to miss out, nor do we want them to risk prosecution and a fine.

“Students can visit for more information.”