Nostalgia - Sending letters from town’s past - Looking back into Sleaford Museum’s photo archives

In our ongoing look back into Sleaford Museum’s archives, this week’s pictures are of Sleaford Post Office.

A postcard view of Southgate and its post office from the 1960s. EMN-200105-135950001
A postcard view of Southgate and its post office from the 1960s. EMN-200105-135950001

It started life on Northgate in the early 1900’s with the telegraph office and switchboard upstairs.

In April 1933, an elegant new post office opened in Southgate. We have a souvenir programme from the occasion. The switchboard moved downstairs in the Northgate building until it closed in 1970, due to automation. Southgate Post Office was a busy main branch with 10 or 12 sub-branches, even opening on Sundays for an hour-and-a-half. It lasted until the 1960’s when it was demolished, and the present utilitarian building was built to house it. This closed last year, leaving Sleaford with no main post office facility.

A postcard of the monument area shows the post office on Southgate in the 1960’s.

Programme from the opening of Sleaford Post Office on April 3, 1933. A staff dinner and concert was held at The Lion Hotel, Northgate on April 29. EMN-200105-135938001

Send any contributions/captions to Sleaford Museum, email: [email protected] or you call 07518 972016.

Visit www.sleafordmuseum.org.uk or Facebook @SleafordMuseum.