McDonald’s re-opens its drive-thru takeaway outlet in Sleaford

McDonald’s was bracing itself for high demand as the fast food giant reopens its drive-through outlet in Sleaford.
McDonald's staff will be working behind screens as part of safe social distancing in kitchens. EMN-200406-162513001McDonald's staff will be working behind screens as part of safe social distancing in kitchens. EMN-200406-162513001
McDonald's staff will be working behind screens as part of safe social distancing in kitchens. EMN-200406-162513001

McDonald’s says it is continuing to open restaurants for Drive-Thru and McDelivery across the country today (Thursday), with special measures in place to keep staff and customers safe.

The Sleaford drive-through re-opened at 11am today. There were chaotic scenes of drivers queuing down the road to get their final McDonald’s meals at the restaurant when it announced it was to close its drive-through two months ago due to coronavirus restrictions.

All McDonald’s Drive-Thru restaurants are set to reopen during this week following a successful pilot in May.

Screens erected in the kitchen at McDonald's to protect workers due to Covid-19. EMN-200406-162524001Screens erected in the kitchen at McDonald's to protect workers due to Covid-19. EMN-200406-162524001
Screens erected in the kitchen at McDonald's to protect workers due to Covid-19. EMN-200406-162524001

With restaurant teams adjusting to new procedures to enable safe working and social distancing, things may take a little longer – and high demand is anticipated. McDonald’s and its franchisees are working closely with local authorities and the police, and may determine that it is necessary to close Drive Thru lanes if queues cause disruption at busier sites or put employees or customers at risk.

Elsewhere in the county the police have had to caution drivers not to cause obstructions with the phased reopening of McDonald’s outlets.

Lincolnshire Police tweeted on Tuesday: “Gainsborough McDonald’s - we have been made aware of traffic issues due to the re-opening of McDonalds. Please be aware that vehicles found to be blocking the road or parking on double yellow lines whilst waiting to access Mcdonalds will be issued with penalty notices.”

To help create a safe experience for everyone, McDonald’s has introduced a number of changes to their restaurants.

Social distancing has been introduced in the kitchens and service areas to help create a safe working environment for restaurant teams.

Perspex screens at Drive-Thru windows and employees wearing protective equipment, as well as perspex screens and floor markings in specific areas in the restaurant and kitchen.

All McDonald’s employees will be asked to confirm they are fit and able to work and contactless thermometers will be used to take employee temperatures on arrival at work for every shift.

The company is also ensuring delivery procedures with couriers are contactless for both its people and customers

Restaurants will return with smaller teams, offering a limited menu and operating reduced hours.

They will also be encouraging capped spending for Drive-Thru and McDelivery at £25 per order to speed up service and customers are encouraged to pay by contactless payment methods,

For those visiting Drive-Thrus, customers can browse the menu, order and pay ahead using the My McDonald’s App.

McDonald’s would like to thank customers for their continued support and patience.

Between Tuesday and today, over 1,000 McDonald’s restaurants will be open in the UK and Ireland, either for Drive-Thru or McDelivery.

Last week the Sleaford McDonald’s car park was invaded by eight mobile homes, whose occupants were reported to have forced open the barriers blocking entry to the car park and stayed overnight.

A police spokesman said officers spoke to the travellers who moved on the following morning. The restaurant management had also been made aware.

Related topics: