Burglars jailed after high speed chase across Notts and Lincs

Two burglars who were caught after a high speed police chase across three counties have been jailed for a combined total of 10 years.

John Grange-Smith
John Grange-Smith

Dale Middleton, 25, from Doncaster, and John Grange-Smith, 28, from Gainsborough, targeted four homes during a week long crime spree in Lincolnshire and North Nottinghamshire.

The pair appeared at Lincoln Crown Court on Friday 24th October.

Nine patrol cars and the Nottinghamshire police helicopter were used to pursue the two men for over 40 miles after the stolen Land Rover was picked up by an ANPR camera just hours after the final burglary in East Ferry, Lincs.

Alistair Munt, prosecuting, said the police chase began in South Yorkshire and lasted over an hour as the pair travelled through Harworth, Tickhill, Oldcotes and Bawtry, before heading towards Gainsborough.

Mr Munt said: “The pursuit lasted over an hour and went on for 40 miles.”

“At times it involved the Land Rover travelling at speeds in excess of 100mph, driving towards oncoming traffic and on two occasions reverse ramming a police patrol car.”

The pair were finally caught after Middleton, who was driving the Land Rover, lost control and overturned the vehicle as he repeatedly tried to ram a police car on a section of dual carriageway between Beckingham and Gainsborough.

Grange-Smith was trapped in the burning Land Rover and had to be freed by two brave police officers who went back in to the vehicle.

The crime spree began on 23rd June when Grange-Smith hit a householder over the head with an iron bar as he attempted to burgle a house in High Street, Upton.

Grange-Smith, of Richardson Rise, Gainsborough, was jailed for four years and three months.

He admitted four charges of burglary, four charges of theft, one charge of attempted burglary and a single charge of assault causing actual bodily harm between 23rd June and 3rd July.

He also admitted breaching a suspended sentence and asked for six other offences to be taken in to consideration.

Middleton, of no fixed address, was jailed for five years and nine months.

He pleaded guilty to four charges of burglary, four charges of theft and one charge of dangerous driving between 28th June and 3rd July.

He also admitted a charge of Contempt of Court on 17th October and asked for 21 other offences to be taken in to consideration.