Sleaford man is jailed for repeatedly assaulting police officers

A man who repeatedly assaulted police officers in multiple different incidents has now been jailed for 42 weeks, according to Lincolnshire Police.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Brandon Hibbert, 24, was said to have assaulted five officers in three separate incidents by pushing, punching and spitting at them.

In all of those cases, those officers were responding to calls for help from the public.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The latest incident happened two days ago (Sunday, April 28), when officers were called to another report of a disturbance in the Moorland area of Lincoln.

Lincoln Magistrates' Court.Lincoln Magistrates' Court.
Lincoln Magistrates' Court.

A Lincolnshire police spokesman said that Hibbert, of Linnet Way, Sleaford, assaulted a response officer by punching them to the face several times causing bruising and swelling. “He was under the influence of drink and drugs, and this, combined with his level of aggression, meant it took at least six officers to restrain him. He was also later found to have concealed a knife down his trousers.”

A hearing at Lincoln Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Monday) heard how this was not the first time he has shown violence to police, and a disregard for the vital job they do in protecting communities.

The spokesman said: “When he committed the assault earlier this week, he was already subject to two suspended sentences – both for assaulting police officers.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“In October last year we responded to a report of a disturbance outside a pub in High Street, Lincoln, and Hibbert assaulted two officers by pushing them.”

He was charged with two counts of assaulting an emergency worker in connection with that incident at the end of January, and given a 12 week sentence, suspended for 12 months.

The spokesman added: “Hibbert then went to a nightclub in the city centre on March 3, where he was ejected by staff due to his behaviour. Police were called and, despite being convicted of the previous assaults and subject to the suspended sentence, he again assaulted two more police officers. This time, he showed further aggression, punching one officer in the chest and trying to bite her leg, and spat at another officer which hit her on the arm.”

He was charged with two more counts of assaulting an emergency worker and given a further 12 week sentence, suspended for 15 months.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

At the hearing yesterday he was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison for assaulting an emergency worker for the incident on April 28.

As a result of committing that offence while he had active suspended sentences, both of the 12 week suspended sentences were also activated.

In total, he has been sentenced to 42 weeks in prison.