Suspended sentence for Sleaford man who attacked and bit a policeman

An off-duty police officer was assaulted and bitten when he intervened in a street incident, Lincoln Crown Court has been told.

Court news

PC Graham Oakes was driving along Southgate, Sleaford, on a Sunday evening when he saw a distraught woman involved in an argument with a man.

As the incident unfolded the man ran after the woman who headed towards the Riverside Shopping Precinct.

Phil Howes, prosecuting the case last week, said that PC Oakes got out of his car and followed the couple only for the man to shout abuse at him.

“The defendant walked towards the officer and the officer states he is a police officer and tells him to back off.

“It had no effect and he continued to approach in a rage. and then swings a punch at the officer.”

The man, 26 year old Charlie Phelps, then grappled with PC Oakes before biting him, the court heard.

Mr Howes said “The officer described the defendant as being possessed. The defendant then bit the officer of the left arm clamping his teeth on like a vice.

“PC Oakes tried to pull away but there was then a second bite to the same arm.”

During the incident that followed the officer managed to get on top of Phelps and restrain him only for Phelps to grab the officer’s throat and then thrust his thumb into PC Oake’s right eye.

Phelps went on to bite the officer’s chest twice before an on-duty officer arrived at the scene following calls to the police from both Phelp’s girlfriend and a witness.

Phelps was handcuffed and unsuccessfully tried to head-but the second officer before being put into a police car.

Later when Phelps was interviewed he was contrite saying he was sorry for what he did. He said he had been drinking and had little memory of what happened.

Phelps, 26, of Station Road, Heckington, admitted charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and assaulting an emergency worker as a result of the incident on March 8 this year.

He was given an eight month jail sentence suspended for 18 months with 150 hours of unpaid work and 10 rehabilitation activity requirement days. He was also ordered to pay £120 compensation to Graham Oakes for damage to his glasses and tee-shirt.

Neil Sands, in mitigation, said that Phelps had no previous convictions and acted completely out of character.

He told the court that Phelps has already suffered consequences as he lost his job as a result of the incident and has not worked since.