Drunk brandished knife after row in pub

A drunk threatened to carry out a stabbing as he brandished a knife outside his home in West Lindsey, a court was told.

Lincoln Crown Court G120131-3
Lincoln Crown Court G120131-3

Steven Randall had earlier been involved in an incident in the Aston Arms in Market Rasen before returning to his home in the town.

Richard Sheldon, prosecuting at Lincoln Crown Court, said “When he came out he was holding a large kitchen knife. He was saying ‘I’m going to stab you. Stick it in you. Kill you’.”

A woman who had earlier been in the pub then went to disarm him and grabbed hold of the blade .She suffered serious cuts to one of her fingers damaging tendons as a result of her intervention.

Randall then went back into his home and by-standers attempted to stop him getting out by holding onto the front door handle.

Instead, Randall emerged from the back door and continued to make threats.

Mr Sheldon said that Randall then ran towards one of the men outside his home only to be felled by a drop kick.

He was detained by three men until police arrived at the scene. Randall,aged 37, of George Street, Market Rasen, admitted charges of affray and possession of an offensive weapon arising out of the incident on September 9 this year.

Errol Ballentyne, defending, said Randall and his wife had moved from London to make a fresh start in Lincolnshire.

He said: “In London he had been treated for various mental health difficulties and was being seen by the community mental health team.

“There are references which speak of this being completely out of character. It is clear that he was out of his depth in terms of the amount of alcohol he had consumed.

“He and his wife were arguing and the dog had run off.”

Mr Ballentyne said that Randall believed the dog had gone into the pub but when he went to look for it he felt he was being threatened.

“That is the reason why he went to get the knife. He didn’t intend to use it. He was using it to frighten them off in order to get the dog back and get back home. He himself suffered concussion. He was kicked to the head while being subdued and went to hospital to be treated for concussion.”

Recorder Jacob Hallam adjourned sentence to next month and Randall was remanded in custody.