Firefighters attend a handful of firework related incidents across Lincolnshire on bonfire night

With much anxiety about households opting to make up for Covid-cancelled public displays by having fireworks at home, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue said its crews attended a handful of garden fires last night (Thursday), and a larger incident where a roof was set alight at a premises, all from fireworks.

Fire and Rescue Service
Fire and Rescue Service

A fire service spokesman said: “People should only use fireworks that are suitable for the outside space they have and they should check packaging for the safety distance of each product – making sure there’s nothing that could set fire in the area.

“One of the issues we did have however was a number of false alarms around the county last night from people having bonfires. So our message is also, please consider whether it’s really necessary to have a bonfire, and let your neighbours know if you do.”

The warning is repeated as more families may choose to hold their bonfire parties tonight or over the weekend.

Make sure you have enough clear space (8m minimum, but 25m for some products) if you have home fireworks over the weekend.

There is more fire safety stuff here: https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/article/425/bang-goes-the-neighbourhood-check-your-limits-for-firework-safety-this-bonfire-night

Firework-related incidents included a shed fire in Grantham, a roof fire on a building in Binbrook Technical Park which damaged guttering, roof tiles and felt, a fence fire in Bourne caused by a firework and a conifre tree which caught fire in a rear garden in Woodhall Spa, also caused by a firework.