Every year in keeping with the national Armed Forces Day in late June, North Kesteven District Council holds a range of events and initiatives to showcase community support for Service personnel and celebrate the contribution they make to society: past, present and future.
This includes encouraging businesses right across the district to dress their windows on a theme that highlights the tri-service collaboration of Army, Navy and Air Force and captures a mood of national pride.
Within Sleaford this involves a free-to-enter window decoration competition, for which entries must be made by Monday, June 12. Window stickers and bunting will be provided to all traders in Southgate to inspire creativity.
The displays will be judged on the morning of Friday, June 16 and winners invited to the celebration evening on Friday, June 23, where veterans will receive their Veterans’ Badges.
Businesses are also invited to state any discounts they offer to Armed Forces personnel and their families (usually on production of an Armed Forces card) either during the week or year-round, which the council will promote within the community and on local bases. Again, details need to be with the council by Monday, June 12.
In both cases, contact Debbie Scott on 01529 414155 or email [email protected]
Tickets to join veterans receiving their post-service Veterans’ Badges at an entertaining evening celebration – complete with food, music, readings, poetry and a sing-a-long – on Friday, June 23 are priced at £12 each.
These need to be booked by Friday, June 16, with Debbie Scott, as above.
The final part of the council’s programme of festivities is an open invitation for the wider public to join with the Armed Forces Week flag-raising in the NKDC Courtyard on Monday, June 20 at 10.30am.
There is also a Drumhead Service in Sleaford Market Place on Saturday, June 24, 11am, inspired by the 75th anniversary of the town’s phenomenal response to Warship Week and adoption of HMS Sheldrake, which will be followed by the laying up of the Sleaford Royal British Legion Women’s Branch standard in the church.
Already we know that discounts are being offered by these businesses. For terms and details contact directly:
- Lunettes Opticians, Southgate, Sleaford – 10% off full priced items
- Bellissimo Boutique, 3-4 Market Place Sleaford, is offering 10% discount on full priced items on production of ID
- Elite Fish and Chips – 10% off for all serving Forces members and veterans on production of ID
- Henderson’s chocolate shop in Bristol Arcade, offering 50% off hot drinks to Armed Forces Personnel
- The Red Lion at Wellingore will be donating 10% of food takings on June 24 to Help for Heroes Also offering a 10% discount on the Saturday and Sunday (June 24 and 25) for Armed Forces personnel.