Lincs: New fire safety campaign is encouraging people to unplug their electrical items

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is asking residents to pull the plug on electrical items as part of a countywide safety campaign.
Standard Fire LogoStandard Fire Logo
Standard Fire Logo

Last year firefighters attended 91 incidents which were caused by electrical items in the home.

And the majority of these fires were started from overloaded plug sockets, faulty wiring and the build-up of fluff in tumble dryers.

So a ‘Get Turned Off’ campaign has been launched.

Nicola Shipston, Community Fire Safety Advocate, said: “We are experiencing more fires in Lincolnshire as a result of electrical items being left on for too long or used incorrectly.”

“Most homes now contain a number of electrical items from large appliances to gadgets and with more electrical items comes more risk.”

“The simple message of our ‘Get Turned Off’ campaign is to switch off your electrical goods and gizmos if you’re not using them.”

“Items such as mobile phones, tablets, e-cigarettes and laptops are all capable of causing a fire, particularly if you power them with a substandard charger or charge them for too long.”

“Larger appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers are also dangerous if you leave them on, especially if you have gone out or gone to bed.”

For safety advice and tips on how to keep your home safe, visit

Related topics: