Man suffers severe face burns after chip pan fire in Swallownest flats

A man has suffered burns to his arm and face after a chip pan fire at his Swallownest home on Wednesday evening.

The fire was out when firefighters arrived at the Park Hill flats but the man in his 20s suffered burns after pouring water onto the pan.

The incident occurred at around 7.30pm on Wednesday and was attended by a crew from Aston Park fire station.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Firefighters continue to urge people to throw out chip pans and either use oven chips or a thermostatically-controlled deep fat fryer and to never pour water onto a chip pan fire.”