‘My son was left for dead’ - Worksop mum speaks out after son’s attacker admits serious assault

“My son was left for dead” – these are the words of a heartbroken Worksop mum after her son’s attacker admitted the serious street assault in court.

Daniel Cutts with kids Reece, Riley and Jalan

Daniel Cutts, a father-of-three, was left fighting for his life on Fathers’ Day, after suffering a single punch to the head.

The Worksop Timber employee was in a coma for about two months, had to have parts of his skull removed and his family were told to “prepare for the worst”.

Steven Hancock, of Yeoman Close, Worksop, admitted causing grievous bodily harm when he appeared at Nottingham Crown Court.

Daniel’s mum Alison said: “It has been dreadful.

“Words cannot describe how we have felt as a family.

“How can a person do that to another person?

“We were taken into a side room and told to prepare for the worst. My son was left for dead.”

The court heard how the attack took place on Sunday, June 21 – Fathers’ Day – at about 3.30am.

Witnesses said Daniel was left lying unconscious on the floor with a “bleeding gash to the head”.

He was later placed in a medically-induced coma.

Sentencing of Hancock was adjourned to another hearing at a later date.

It came after his legal team asked for Hancock’s case to be adjourned for pre-sentence reports, because medical evidence which will determine the impact of Daniel’s injuries on his life has not yet been provided.

The Nottingham Crown Court hearing was also told that CCTV footage shows a man attempting to pick Daniel up off the floor after the attack, before accidentally dropping him, causing his head to “crash to the floor”.

Following the incident, Daniel had two operations and will have another one in the near future which will involve a metal plate being inserted in his head.

Alison said Daniel now has problems with his speech, has 24-hour care and could have seizures in the future.

However, his family – including partner Ruth and children Jalan and twins Riley and Reece – are hopeful he might be able to finally return home next week, four months after the attack.

Alison said: “He knows what he wants to say but he can’t express his words.

“He can’t interact with his children, he is very upset about it.

“He is a different person now.

“We are 100 per cent behind him.”

Hancock, aged 23, is due to be sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday, October 9.