Boston lorry driver admits causing woman's death by careless driving

A Boston lorry driver is facing custody after admitting causing the death of a woman by careless driving.

Lorry driver caused death by careless driving
Lorry driver caused death by careless driving

Car passenger Kate Ablewhite died ten days after being involved in a three-vehicle collision on the A52 at Bicker on December 14 last year.

LGV driver Dorian-Silviu Buinea crashed into the back of a stationary box van as it was waiting to turn right. His Mercedes unit and trailer then "bounced" into the opposite carriageway where it collided with a Fiat 500.

Buinea (33), of Holbeach Terrace, Haven Village, was too distressed to watch as footage of the incident from his vehicle's dashcam was shown in Boston Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.

Prosecutor Shelley Wilson said the van had been indicating for at least eight seconds and it was "clearly more than momentary inattention" by Buinea.

The collision happened just before 10am.

Miss Wilson said: "[Fiat driver] Miss Crisp had started her journey in Grantham when she had given a lift to her work colleague, Kate Ablewhite, and was travelling towards Boston.

"Travelling in the opposite direction were two vehicles - firstly Mr Stratton in the box van and then some way behind the defendant in the Mercedes lorry.

"It was Mr Stratton who intended to turn right into Donington Road. He quite properly indicated this, slowed down and stopped prior to being able to turn.

"The defendant appears to have failed to notice this. He has not slowed down at all but collided with the rear of the box van and then bounced off the van into the other carriageway. This was immediately in front of Miss Crisp's Fiat and there was simply no time for her to react at all.

"Both Miss Crisp and her passenger, Miss Ablewhite, suffered very serious injuries and, sadly, Miss Ablewhite later died from her injuries."

The court was told that Miss Crisp suffered multiple fractures, had to have part of her intestines removed and later had a lung pulmonary embolism.

The bench agreed its sentencing powers were insufficient and committed the case to Lincoln Crown Court on a date to be fixed. Buinea, who had no previous convictions and was assisted in court by a Romanian interpreter, was granted unconditional bail.