Paul Howes, Group Manager Prevention & Protection at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “Lots of us are looking to keep our homes warm, cook hearty meals and keep things cosy to get through this lockdown.
“While you’re doing this, please keep safety in mind, as many of the incidents we are going out to are preventable.
“Simple precautions like keeping anything flammable a safe distance away from fires and heaters, always keeping an eye on your cooking and not leaving candles alight if you’re not in the room, can make a real difference.”
On New Year’s Eve, crews attended an incident in North Carlton near Lincoln where logs were left too close to the fire, igniting a rug and a basket. There were also chimney fires in Pickworth and Long Bennington last weekend.
And already this year there have been a number of fires caused by cooking being left unattended – one of the most common causes of domestic fires.
Crews were dispatched to a chip pan fire in Bourne, a grill pan on fire in Deeping Gate and a dual fuel cooker alight in Whaplode.
The fire service also attended a bedroom fire at a property in Bardney last week where a lit candle had fallen on the floor, and a flat fire in Gainsborough over the weekend caused by a candle left unattended.
Fire crews have also attended a number of electrical incidents including a tumble drier fire in Sturton by Stow.
While people are at home, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue suggests the following jobs to improve fire safety:
• Test your smoke alarm
• Clear your grill pan of fat build-up
• Clear the lint out of your tumble drier
• Register your electrical appliances online at www.registermyappliance.org.uk
• Check your sockets aren’t overloaded – use extension leads instead of ‘block’ adaptors
• Know how you would get out safely if you did have a fire, and check none of your exits are blocked.
Paul Howes added: “While we stay home and stay safe from Covid, we need to be mindful of household hazards too.
“Our highly experience community fire safety team and operational crews are available for advice on the phone, and are still visiting the most vulnerable members of the community where needed.”
• There’s lots more safety tips and information here