Remembrance events ‘will go ahead’ safely

Town councils in our area have insisted that Remembrance Sunday parades and services will go ahead in some form, despite the ongoing challenge posed by Covid.

Remembrance (stock image)
Remembrance (stock image)

The statements, from Louth Town Council and Mablethorpe & Sutton Town Council, come after Lincolnshire County Council and Lincolnshire Police wrote to parade organisers across the county to offer advice and guidance to help events run smoothly this year.

The offer of additional support came after The Royal British Legion published new guidance stating that Legion members cannot be involved in the organising or facilitating of road closures for Remembrance parades.

Instead, any such road closures should be organised by the local civic authority – for example, the relevant town or parish council.

This change in guidance comes after an incident where a member of the public was injured at a Remembrance parade two years ago.

Event organisers will also need to adhere to the Government guidelines on social distancing this year, and the county council and police are able to offer advice on safety at their events.

Karen Cassar, assistant director for Highways at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “We have delivered awareness and safety training to over 100 Remembrance parade organisers since 2018, and we’re continuing to offer help this year.

“Last year there were 35 Remembrance parades across Lincolnshire. We have written to event organisers to alert them to the change in The Royal British Legion’s policy. “In some areas, road closures are already organised by the town or parish council, but those that aren’t, or which use British Legion volunteers to facilitate the closure, will need to make alternative arrangements.”

Chief Inspector Phil Vickers from Lincolnshire Police added: “A parade is not the Remembrance service in itself. But some areas in the county have enjoyed a long history of holding a parade on the public highway as part of their Remembrance.

“Parade organisers will just need to take stock of their plans this year, to make sure they can still go ahead.

“Lincolnshire Police and the county council are fully supportive of Remembrance parades, so please get in touch with us if you are unsure how Covid-19 restrictions or the new British Legion guidance will affect your event.”

Louth Town Council already arranges and pays for road closures for Remembrance Sunday parades each year.

A town council spokesman said: “A decision on how exactly this year’s event will proceed has not yet been taken, but there will be some kind of commemoration which will be arranged to meet Covid-19 guidelines.”

A Mablethorpe & Sutton Town Council spokesman said: “Historically, the council has worked jointly on Remembrance services and parades with the local Legion and church groups, and has for several years facilitated a walking road block for the parade in Mablethorpe.

“This year’s events will be low-key, led by the local branch of the Legion partner organisations, with attendance by the mayor in Mablethorpe and the deputy mayor in Sutton on Sea as the representatives from the town council.”