Winceby Gardens development approved - despite objections

Residents have failed in their fight to stop a major housing development in Horncastle from going ahead.

Members of East Lindsey District Council’s planning committee yesterday (Thursday) gave the green light for Gleeson Homes’ plans for land off Winceby Gardens.

There had been strong objections from many residents in the area - and from Horncastle Town Council.

The plans had previously being rejected - a decision that was endorsed by a planning inspector at an appeal earlier this year.

That led to Gleeson submitting a revised application.

Planning committee member Councillor Helen Matthews said: “The developer has gone a long way to resolve some of the issues.”

Councillor Richard Cullington said he had some concerns over density, but that he could see no reason to refuse.

He warned councillors they needed to be more careful over what they approved at outline stage to avoid “sticky situations” in the future.

A previous attempt by the developer for 97 homes on the site was refused in December 2019 after councillors said residents “deserved better” in terms of quality and design.

The appeal was dismissed in July.

The new plans included open spaces to the north providing a “buffer zone” with Banovallum Gardens and a new road layout being “pedestrian friendly”.

They include 24 two-bedroom, 58 three-bedroom and seven four-bedroom homes.

Objectors to the plans said it didn’t overcome the reasons for appeal dismissal.

They said the density of parts of the development had increased, that it didn’t reflect the area’s character and didn’t include a “good sized play area”.