Seven fires in chimneys in just 24 hours

South Yorkshire firefighters are urging people to ensure their chimneys are swept after attending seven chimney fires in 24 hours last weekend.

None of the incidents caused damage to property, but they did cause inconvenience, and occupied the fire service for up to four hours at a time.

The incidents included traditional open fires, wood burning stoves and gas fires, with embers becoming stuck in unswept chimneys or incorrectly fitted flues.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “We would strongly advise people to get their chimney swept before lighting their fires.”

Winter definitely arrived this weekend and we all needed extra warmth, but we also want to ensure that everyone keeps their loved ones, property and Christmas presents safe this month.”