Last Wednesday (May 25), an inquest at Spilsby Coroner’s Court heard that Raymond Pickering Moffatt died at his home on September 8 last year.
Mr Moffatt, 90, who lived in Tetney Lock, had suffered from malignant mesothelioma (a form of cancer associated with exposure to asbestos) in the later years of his life, and had undergone biopsies and cancer treatment in the months before his death.
Mr Moffatt’s daughter, Wendy Fulcher, attended the inquest. She explained that, following her father’s diagnosis, he mentioned to her that he had been exposed to asbestos in the workplace while employed by the Bahrain Petroleum Company as a maintenance engineer between 1946 and 1966.
This information about Mr Moffatt’s employment history had not previously been formally recorded, and Ms Fulcher repeated the statement under oath at the request of the assistant Coroner for Central Lincolnshire, Richard Marshall.
The Coroner noted that Mr Moffatt had received a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions in July 2015, in which they had accepted an industrial injuries claim that had been submitted by Mr Moffatt in relation to his illness.
Recording a verdict of industrial disease, the coroner noted that Mr Moffatt had lived a long life despite his illness, and offered his condolences to the family.