Plan to restore Gainsborough to Barton daily train service picks up speed with £50,000 council bid

North Lincolnshire Council has submitted a bid for £50,000 from the Government to restore regular passenger train services between Gainsborough Central and Barton on Humber via Kirton in Lindsey and Brigg.

For the past 27 years, the only trains between Gainsborough, Kirton in Lindsey and Barnetby have run on Saturdays.

Trains to Barton on Humber can only operate to and from Grimsby, as no passenger trains currently run on a short spur of line between Ulceby and Brocklesby.

Council leader Rob Waltham said: "There is a real need for the train services between Barton, Brigg and Gainsborough to be improved as there is a gap in connectivity.

North Lincolnshire Council has submitted a bid for £50,000 of Government cash to restore regular passenger train services between Gainsborough Central and Barton on Humber via Kirton in Lindsey and Brigg.

“Many nearby villages don’t have access to other transport so increased rail services would provide a much-needed connection.”

He added: “This project will open up employment opportunities and support our visitor economy whilst also supporting ambitions for clean growth.”

The application to the Department for Transport (DfT) Restoring Your Railway Programme is to fund a feasibility study for improving services.

If successful, the bid will provide 75 per cent of costs up to £50,000 to help explore the transport and economic implications and build a business case. The council would invest the remaining 25 per cent.

It has been supported by the North Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Community Rail Partnership and three of the area’s MPs: Andrew Percy for Brigg and Goole, Holly Mumby-Croft for Scunthorpe and Martin Vickers for Cleethorpes.

Coun Waltham said: “The support from Andrew, Holly and Martin in backing this bid has been fantastic and we are grateful for it.”

“Working together we have created a strong bid highlighting the many economic benefits it would have for the area.”

Expected benefits would include increased leisure travel and access to tourist destinations, more connections for commuters, and promoting use of public transport and reduced reliance on private cars.

Rail partnership chairman Barry Coward said: "I am delighted the council has developed our idea, and we will be pleased to work with them on this project.”