Worksop: Man waves kitchen knife at his neighbour after a car dispute

A 21-year-old man went into his kitchen and grabbed a kitchen knife after having a dispute with his neighbour.
In CourtIn Court
In Court

Danny Grooby,21, of Queen Elizabeth Crescent, Worksop, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour at Worksop Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 9th October.

The court heard how on Tuesday 2nd September, Grooby went across the road with his grandad to have a look at a car which was for sale.

David Savage, a resident who lives close by was in his garden with his daughter, when he saw Grooby looking at the car.

Mr Savage went to confront Grooby on the street over outstanding payments he owed for a previous car he had bought.

The pair proceeded to have an argument in the street.

Prosecuting, Donna Fawcett said: “ Grooby started to get angry.”

“ He became verbally abusive towards Mr Savage and his daughter”.

“Then Mr Savage swung to punch Grooby .”

Grooby went on to holdMr Savage’s wrists to restrain him and threw him to the ground.

The court then heard how Mr Savage got up off the floor and turned his back and headed back into his own home.

After the incident, Grooby also returned home.

Moments later, Mr Savage sawGrooby go into his kitchen and come out waving a knife in the air in his garden.

Donna Fawcett added: “Grooby was seen waving the knife in the air above his head for about ten seconds.”

“Grooby acknowleges that local people would feel threatend if they saw someone waving a knife around.”

In mitigation, David Verity said: “ Mr Grooby accepts what he did was wrong and he has fully co-operated with the police.”

“At the time of the incident Grooby was under a lot of stress, there were difficulties with his partner’s pregnancy and he wasn’t thinking straight.”

“It was a moment of madness and Grooby questioned his actions and thought ‘what am I doing, it’s a stupid thing to do.’”

Mr Verity also said Grooby struggles with anger issues which he is hoping to sort out in the future.

Worksop magistrates said the case was a serious matter and one which the defendant acted irresponsibily on impluse.

The case was adjourned until 23rd October at Worksop Magistrates’ Court.

Related topics: