The first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, was published back in 1997.
That is enough to make any Potter fan feel old, but in the many years since JK Rowling wrote some of the epic wizarding tale in The Elephant House Cafe in Edinburgh, it has only become more popular.
Some of us grew up glued to the books and eagerly awaiting the cinema releases of the eight films, while new generations are only just discovering the Boy Who Lived.
Most people have probably watched the films multiple times (or even taken part in Harry Potter movie marathons), and we all know someone who thinks they’re a Potter expert.
So, it’s time to test your (or their) knowledge with our ultimate Harry Potter quiz.
There are five different rounds, from spells and potions to Hogwarts and creatures, and questions range from common knowledge to very niche.
See how many you can get right.
The ultimate Harry Potter quiz questions
Round one: Harry Potter
- What is Harry’s Quidditch position?
- What animal is Harry’s Patronus?
- Who is Harry’s godfather?
- Where did Harry get his first wand?
- What were Harry’s parents called?
Round two: Spells
- What is the killing curse called?
- What spell would you use to light up the tip of your wand?
- What spell would conjure a Patronus?
- What is Snape’s signature spell?
- If you say “Alohomora”, what are you trying to do?
Round three: Creatures
- What animal could Peter Pettigrew turn into?
- What was Hagrid's pet dog called?
- Who was the first goblin Harry ever met?
- Who were the four founders of Hogwarts?
- What is the name of Lord Voldemort's snake?
Round four: Hogwarts
- Which platform at Kings Cross Station do Hogwarts pupils use to access the Hogwarts Express?
- Name the tree that Arthur Weasley's flying car crashes into?
- Name three people who taught defence against the dark arts at Hogwarts?
- Who was Hemione’s date at Hogwarts’ Yule Ball?
- What is the name of the Gryffindor house ghost who lives at Hogwarts?
Round five: Potions
- Who does Hermione become when she takes a Polyjuice Potion to break into Gringotts Bank?
- What is Veritaserum?
- What is a Wolfsbane potion used for?
- The potion Felix Felicis is commonly known as?
- What is Amortentia?
Harry Potter quiz answers
Round one: Answers
- A stag
- Sirius Black
- James and Lily Potter
Round two: Answers
- Avada Kedavra
- Expecto Patronum
- Unlock something
Round three: Answers
- A rat
- Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin
Round four: Answers
- 9 ¾
- The Whomping Willow
- Any three from Quirinus Quirrell, Gilderoy Lockhart, Remus Lupin, Bartemius Crouch Jr, “Mad-Eye” Moody, Dolores Umbridge, Severus Snape, Amycus Carrow.
- Viktor Krum
- Nearly Headless Nick
Round five: Answers
- Bellatrix Lestrange
- A truth potion
- It relieves symptoms of werewolfry
- Liquid luck
- A love potion