The bridge was expected to cross from just south of Fydell Crescent to the entrance of Rowley Road.
It was designed to be the first step in a solution to Boston’s problem of traffic congestion.
The bridge would connect with a proposed ‘inner relief road’ for the town – what would become John Adams Way.
At the time of these photographs (January 1959), though, there was disagreement over what route the road should take – and there had been for some time.
In December 1956, a two-day inquiry was held at Boston into the county council’s suggested route for the road, which would run from Rowley Road to Wide Bargate.
The council’s view was that the road’s Wide Bargate junction should be through Silver Street, opposite the Post Office.
It would leave the proposed bridge, swing round across Shodfriars Lane, Spain Lane, one side of Pump Square, then run along Silver Street into Wide Bargate.
However, objectors proposed an alternative that deviated from the council’s at the end of Spain Lane. This route would go on to swing across a bowling green, go over Main Ridge, before cutting across areas to follow Cheyney Street to Mill Hill, making a roundabout junction with Wide Bargate.
The council said: “Our proposed route would open up wonderful opportunities of re-development to the commercial properties right in the heart of the town.”
Objectors replied: “The council’s project is far too cramped, far too narrow, and far too near the centre of the town.”
Haven Bridge opened in 1966, John Adams Way 12 years later.