Torrential rain put paid to five of the six scheduled Readers Lincolnshire ECB Premier League matches.


But at Market Deeping, a great deal of hard work on the pitch ensured that a reduced over game could go ahead - and after a number of nailbiting moments for both sides only seven runs separated the two teams at the close.

The rain moved north in late morning and work began on removing gallons of water from the top of the plastic sheeting and the surrounding area before the covers were removed and further work started on the pitch.

And finally, at 2.45pm, with the one remaining muddy patch covered in hessian, umpires and players walked out to being a 64 over match with Market Deeping, who had won the toss, batting first.

Lee Charlton opened the bowling for Grimsby and had two wickets to his name by the time the total reached 15.

A sharp piece of fielding and a direct hit by Mat Owen brought the third wicket.

But Ross Barnes and David Gillett added 64 and Gillett went on to make an unbeaten 78, while a quickfire 26 from Ash Fisher, which included three sixes, helped Deeping to challenging total of 194 for eight.

Grimsby got off to a better start, Jack Wilson and Joe Farmery putting on 59 for the first wicket and Farmery and Steve Crossley added 64 for the second.

But when Farmery was caught by Gillett, also for 78, the run rate slowed.

However, by the start of the penultimate over, Grimsby had pulled it back, needing 14 runs to win with four wickets standing.

A tight over from Zac Simmonds brought only four runs and Lee Peacock came on to bowl the 32nd.

His first ball brought a wicket and his fourth and fifth balls two more, leaving the visitors’ final pair to hang on as Grimsby finished 187 for nine.

This result moved Market Deeping into second place in the table, just four points adrift of the top and ensured that Grimsby stay in touch with the teams above them at the foot of the table.

Results: Market Deeping 194-8 (Gillett 78no), Grimsby Town 187-9 (Farmery 78).

All other games rained off.