Dinnington’s running rugby too much for Scarborough

A SCINTILLATING display of open running rugby gave Dinnington their second win of the season in Yorkshire One.

The Lodge Lane men beat visitors Scarborough 37-19, after putting them under pressure from the start.

With only six minutes played Dinnington ntook the lead after a sweeping move across the pitch set up Chris Williams to score under the posts.

Jonny West added the conversion.

Scarborough struggled to get any meaningful attacking positions in the Dinnington half throughout the first 40 minutes and had to rely on the boot of their kicker to get them on the board.

Two minutes after Dinnington had taken the lead the visitors replied with the first of three first half penalties.

However, Dinnington were soon back on the attack and a drop goal from West restored the seven-point advantage.

Dinnington were playing their preferred game of running the ball from everywhere and just past the mid-point of the half they started a move inside their own territory that ended when Russell Winters crossed in the corner.

West added the conversion.

Scarborough were able to hold back the onslaught for the next 10 minutes and in that time landed two more penalties to move the score to 17-9.

Close to half time, the visitors set up a rare attack in the Dinnington half but knocked on and were then cut to pieces as the home side ran the ball back, switching play across the field twice, setting up David Longstaffe to run in from 30 metres out, breaking two tackles on the way.

West’s conversion gave Dinnington a healthy 24-9 lead at the break.

There was a scrappy start to the second half and the tone was set when the referee sin-binned a Scarborough player with only four minutes played.

This would be the first of five yellow cards the referee would deem necessary in the half.

Three minutes after, Dinnington also had a player binned and Scarborough took advantage to score a converted try.

The visitors were reduced to 13 with another yellow card and West kicked the resulting penalty.

With both sides back to 14, Scarborough then enjoyed a brief spell of pressure but both sides were struggling to get any momentum due the referee’s inconsistencies with his decisions.

In the space of five minutes Dinnington had two players binned for seemingly innocuous incidents which allowed Scarborough to close the gap to 27-19 with a penalty.

Dinnington regrouped and replied in kind with West’s third penalty of the game.

With everybody back on the field Dinnington made sure of victory and claimed an extra bonus point as Will Marshall scored a try with three minutes to go and West added the extras.

On Saturday Dinnington have the long trip to North Ribblesdale where they secured a rare victory last season.