Badgers beaten by Parras in derby

TUESDAY’S Bassetlaw derby between Retford United and Worksop Parramore ended in defeat for the Badgers.

Retford made the short trip to Sandy Lane and were forced into making several changes through injuries and suspension.

Gav Cooper served his ban after his sending off against Liversedge, while Jack Ward was ruled out through injury.

With Andy Walkden unavailable, Richard Sennett gave starts to goalkeeper Declan Howard, Liam Wilkin, Bobby Johnson and Steve Phillips.

Retford were gifted a superb start to the game, after only three minutes they were ahead.

A long throw into the box from Shaun Nesbitt eventually found Danny Frost who made no mistake as he fired home from close range.

The scores were level on 16 minutes, Lee Whittington rising to head the ball across Howard from a free-kick to bring Parramore back into the game.

Howard, making his first appearance of the season, did well as he blocked two efforts for the home side, but on 33 minutes was helpless as Matty Thorpe drilled the ball into the bottom corner to give Parramore the lead.

Frost saw his overhead kick run wide of the post, then he was thwarted again after good work to keep the ball in play, he could only find the side netting.

Retford should have been level early in the second half, a through ball from Adam Scott for Wilkin almost paid dividends, but despite stretching, Wilkin couldn’t get a touch in front of goal.

Parramore were 3-1 up after 50 minutes, Whittington returning to haunt his old side with a header that hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the net.

Retford dominated the remainder of the game, but struggled to find the final ball to penetrate the Parramore defence.

On 78 minutes, the pressure paid off, a surging run by Kyle Hadley from his own half led to the United substitute hitting a shot from the right flank that beat the keeper.

United were dealt a blow with minutes remaining when a penalty was awarded, Lee Holmes stepping up to take and Howard went the right way to palm the ball away to keep United in the game.

In the dying embers of the match, it looked as if Retford had earned a deserved draw when a cross into the box had three Retford players challenging, and somehow with the keeper diving the wrong way, it took a touch off his foot and spun away for a corner.

Retford are back to league action on Saturday away at Arnold Town.