There were no particular shocks in round one of the Sharman Burgess Sports Cup, although Railway Athletic’s 2-1 away win at Old Doningtonians, on paper, could be seen as a minor upset.

Chris Wing and Liam Wilson fight for possession during Railway's victory at the Dons.
Chris Wing and Liam Wilson fight for possession during Railway's victory at the Dons.
Chris Wing and Liam Wilson fight for possession during Railway's victory at the Dons.

The Dons, from Division One, scored through Chris Grimer, but Railway booked their place in round two with goals from Curtis Yeatman and Damian Gibbons.

Boston Athletic, struggling in Division Three, had the difficult task of travelling to Division One side FC Magnet, and so it proved to be as they shipped 14 goals.

Magnet even had the luxury of allowing Adam Appleby a brief cameo, and he didn’t disappoint with a searing left foot volley.

Matt Parnham (five), Lewis Lane (four), Paul Sims (two), Dan Holland and Christian Parker struck the other goals for Magnet.

Park United squeezed through to the next round with a hard fought 2-1 away win at Spalding Harriers.

The Division Three pacesetters scored through Zac Mercer but two goals from Josh Stanley secured The Division Two outfit a passage into the next round.

It was a slow start from Park and Spalding Harriers took advantage by opening the scoring through Mercer after just five minutes before the visitors gradually worked themselves back into the game.

Two goals from super sub Josh Stanley eased Park United through.

Josh Brason also grabbed an important double for FC Kirton in their 4-1 home win against Mareham United.

Mitch Bradley and Richard Early also got on the score-sheet for the Kirton side.

Fosdyke enjoyed a break from the traumas of the league with an away day in the cup at a sun-soaked Holbeach Bank.

A great team performance was capped off by two absolutely fantastic goals but they should really have won more comfortably.

The first half was dominated by the men in tangerine and, although their opponents were defensively stubborn, playing a high line with an offside trap, it wasn’t long before the visitors had sprung it and chances came thick and fast. 

Leon Marsh was the first to break through and when he squared the ball to Matthew Scott, the pass just ran away from his teammate.

Leon Marsh followed this up with another near miss minutes later and when Zac Chapman saw his finish in similar circumstances fly over the bar it seemed a pattern was emerging.

The Bank’s goalkeeper was in fine form and when Fosdyke did hit the target he was on hand to block and parry all that was thrown his way as the first period finished goal-less.

Matthew Scott rattled the post early on and it felt like it was going to be one of those days until they finally conjured up a sublime moment of skill when, half way through the second period, James Hawkes majestically waltzed out of defence with an utterly outrageous round-the-world turn that left the Holbeach players bamboozled before moving the ball on to substitute Gary O’Connor.

The big man scythed the home back line in two with a superb pass that was swept home by Matthew Scott.

Gary O’Connor then turned from provider to scorer with a fantastic diving header after Ben Parker had swung in a glorious cross to double their advantage.

O’Connor and Michael Beauchamp both had opportunities to extend the lead late on but again, the home keeper earned his stripes with a series of impressive blocks.

Man of the Match for Fosdyke last Saturday was Matt Bates, who was hugely influential in the centre of midfield providing both defensive solidity and linking the forward-line from start to finish.

In the Taylors Garages Premier Division, Old Leake came away from Pointon with all three points following a 4-2 away win - although they had to comeback from behind before securing victory.

Leake stormed into an early lead when Adam Tempest scored after just two minutes before a misplaced back-pass allowed Pointon to level the scores.

The home side then went 2-1 in front before the interval.

Old Leake had squandered four decent chances during the first half but they didn’t have to wait long after the break as Tempest grabbed his second goal of the game five minutes into the second half, and he went onto complete his hat-trick.

Steve Green looked to have made the game safe with a fourth.

Pointon always looked capable of getting back into the game, but the visitors stood firm and goalkeeper Ben Henderson made a couple of vital saves to preserve Old Leake’s two-goal margin.

Ian Jacquest and Sam Husband scored the Pointon goals to keep them in the game.

Skegness Town Reserves gained some sort of revenge for their cup defeat at the hands of visitors Fishtoft the previous week.

Fishtoft had to make the journey to the East Coast for the second week running, but they failed to repeat their victory this time around as Skegness turned the tables with a 3-2 home win.

Skegness took maximum points with goals from Josh Whittam, Dan Field and Craig Booth.

After weathering some early pressure Fishtoft punished Skegness Town twice through Neil Allen to go in at half time two goals to the good.

The second half saw the Fishtoft team tire somewhat during the final 20 minutes and Skegness produced a grandstand finish to record an incredible victory.

Ruskington Rovers and Billinghay Athletic shared the points following an exciting 3-3 draw.

Mitchell Gorman grabbed two of the Rovers’ goals while Matt Leonard was also on target.

Spilsby Town continue to look impressive following a 6-1 home win against Benington with Jordan Turner hitting two of the goals.

Town’s other goals came from Adam Dales, Eddie Rich, Dan Cobb and Liam Papworth.

Wyberton also look a force after a 2-0 home win against Champions, Swineshead Institute.

Billy Shinn and Ty Chase grabbed the crucial goals in an impressive victory.

Kirton were woeful in the first half of their home game against Coningsby and things looked dire at the halfway stage as they found themselves trailing 4-0 at half time.

Two crucial substitutions at half time and a change of formation proved to be a revelation and within five minutes the score was 4-2 as Coningsby took their turn to look rocky.

A further goal came shortly afterwards to make it 4-3 before Kirton had a goal disallowed for a debatable offside decision which would have made it 4-4.

Kirton were not to be denied, however, as they were awarded a penalty in the last 10 minutes which levelled the scores.

Kirton’s scorers were Andy Brown, who struck a fine hat-trick and Daniel Pearce.

The Taylors Peugeot Division One saw Freiston seize upon some weak defending early on to take the lead through Ty Fravigar in their away fixture at Leverton, before Marc Hipwell showed great composure to level the scores after Alex Tilley had hit the crossbar.

Alex Lote-Greenfield then put the hosts in front with a sharp finish before Dom Goddard netted early in the second half to make it 3-1.

Lote-Greenfield then slotted home his second goal of the game to extend the lead before Joe Daubney coolly put the seal on a great performance and make the final score 5-1.

FC Wrangle scored three times but still finished up empty-handed when they entertained Friskney.

Dan Redford struck two goals and Adam Coulam also scored for Wrangle but the visitors hit their opponents for six to run out 6-3 winners.

Mashita Bogdan hit a hat-trick for Friskney while Greg Brown scored twice.

Victor Sibert grabbed the other Friskney goal.

Boston College were the division’s biggest scorers last Saturday following their 7-0 home win against Woodhall Spa United.

Cameron Holland hit a hat-trick while Ben Webb helped himself to two goals.

The other College goals came from Sheradon Goodhand and Tom Taylor.

Sutterton unfortunately had to pull out of their away trip to Swineshead Reserves owing to a chronic shortage of players and this will, undoubtedly, see the award of three easy points for the Swineshead side.

In the Taylors Ford Division Two, Billinghay Athletic Reserves appeared to be heading for victory in their home game against Eastern European FC but two late goals left them with nothing to show for their efforts.

Tom Bullimore and Charlie Gilbert put the home side 2-1 ahead with just eight minutes left but the international side hit back with the two late strikes – the winner being a last-minute penalty.

Rob Rowlatt hit a hat-trick for Pointon Reserves in their 6-3 home win against AFC Tetford.

Danny Long, Glenn Long and Luke Thomas completed the scoring for the home side.

Sibsey also won 6-3, although their victory was away from home when they travelled to Fishtoft Reserves.

Nicky Rogers, Joe Taylor and Tom Martin grabbed the Fishtoft goals.

In the Taylors Vauxhall Division Three, FC Boston are still looking to get their season off the mark following another heavy defeat.

This time they shipped in 11 goals at home to Old Doningtonians Reserves.

For the record, the Dons’ goals came from Brandon Harker (three), Luke Barnett (two), Liam Barnett (two), Ben Spindler, Josh Nicol, Danny Goodacre and an own goal.

The Boston side only had the bare 11 players, with no substitutes and two injuries during the game left them short on numbers.

FC Hammers gained three more valuable points following a 3-1 home win against Leverton SFC Reserves.

Kristian Taylor, Jace Snade and Joe Roberts hit the all-important goal for the Hammers while Deividas Urbsys replied for the visitors.

The Hammers took an early lead in the game and scored their second mid-way through the first half before Leverton pulled one back through a very well-taken Deividas Urbsys goal.

The second half begun in similar fashion as Hammers scored an early third goal to clinch victory.

Benington Reserves also recorded a 3-1 home win when they entertained Spilsby Town Reserves.

Danny Gatenby scored twice for Benington while Dean Stevens also got on the scoresheet.

There was yet another 3-1 score-line, this time, away from home when Wyberton A returned home from Boston Titans with the three points.

Steen Bates, McKenzie Smith and Jack Reeson hit the Wyberton goals while Ben Charlton replied for the Titans.

Referee Trevor Page had an excellent game in the middle.