Neil Johnson rounds up the latest matches...
Friskney's Victor Sibert battles with Leverton's Chase Maddison and Joe Money.Friskney's Victor Sibert battles with Leverton's Chase Maddison and Joe Money.
Friskney's Victor Sibert battles with Leverton's Chase Maddison and Joe Money.

BB Insure Willoughby Cup

Old Leake and Spilsby Town deserved their medals last Thursday night just for battling the torrential rain during the first half of the final.

Play was evenly balanced during the first period with Old Leake going close after 10 minutes when a good move down the left saw a superb cross to the just miss the sliding boot of James Brader.

Spilsby’s Liam Papworth fired in a shot across the face of the goal on the half hour mark while down at the other end Jordan Turner came to his side’s rescue with a superb tackle when Adam Abell found himself free in the box.

Town finished the half when Adam Dales flashed a shot wide of the right hand post.

As the rain eased in the second half, Spilsby slowly took control and Turner flashed a cross across goal but it was missed by the onrushing forwards and Leake keeper Mitch Griffiths pulled off a brilliant save at point blank range.

Town were not to be denied much longer when Griffiths again did well to block a shot with his legs only this time the rebound was swept home by Liam Papworth for the opener.

Spilsby wrapped up the game with a crucial second goal when Adam Dales fired in a long range effort which flew off the surface at such a pace that the ball reared up past a bewildered Griffiths.

Fred Hunt was the league’s Guest of Honour and kindly presented the trophies to match officials and players.

The man of the match award went to Spilsby’s energetic midfielder Daniel Cobb who worked tirelessly throughout.

BB Insure Willoughby Shield

In defeating Coningsby Reserves at Boston Town’s DWB Stadium on Tuesday night, Spilsby Town Reserves achieved a memorable treble by adding the Willoughby Shield to the Division Three title and Reserve Cup.

The only goal of the Final arrived in the 55th minute courtesy of striker Dan Smith who finished in fine style volleying home at the far post.

In a game of few chances, Matty Jones sent his free-kick straight into the arms of Coningsby goalkeeper Steve Brumpton.

On the half hour, Coningsby winger Ashley Bond flashed a shot across the face of the goal wide of the upright.

Just before half-time, Jay Adams almost caught out the Coningsby keeper with a speculative shot which bounced up in front of him and had to be palmed over the crossbar.

Five minutes into the second-half, Dan Smith saw a low shot saved at the foot of a post but his next effort found the back of the net for what proved to be the winning goal.

On 70 minutes Sean Taylor went close for Coningsby but any remaining hopes they had were ended as they were reduced to 10 men with Alistair Robertson getting his marching orders.

With defences having dominated throughout it was no surprise that the Man of the Match was awarded to Spilsby Town Reserves full-back Elliott Ludlow.

The Shield and individual trophies were presented by Richard Richmond from sponsors BB Insure.

Taylors Garages Premier Division

Wyberton Reserves were crowned Premier Division champions after a comfortable 3-0 home victory over a severely-depleted Benington team.

Two goals inside the opening half-hour from Nicky Syndercombe set the Causeway outfit on their way to a championship-clinching success.

A third goal from Syndercombe, to complete his hat-trick, followed after the break as a Benington team missing more than half their regular starting line-up rarely troubled the hosts despite the battling efforts of several of their stand-in players.

In two crucial midweek relegation battles, Fishtoft were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Skegness Town Reserves while Kirton Town suffered a real body-blow to their hopes of survival when they crumpled to a 4-0 home defeat at the hands of Pointon.

Fishtoft then went down to a narrow 1-0 defeat at Swineshead Institute three days later.

Fishtoft dominated from the outset in their home match against Skegness and eventually their pressure told when debutant Craig Parker produced a fine finish to put Fishtoft in front.

Against the run of play Skegness Town pulled a goal back just before half time with a long range effort deceiving the Fishtoft goalkeeper.

The second half was one-way traffic but Fishtoft just couldn’t find a way through the stubborn Skegness town defence and had to settle for a point.

A depleted Fishtoft side entered the final game of the season knowing they needed to avoid defeat.

Some tight defensive play kept Swineshead at arm’s length, whilst allowing the forwards to create good scoring opportunities.

This theme continued late into the second half when Bert Snaith slid in at the near post to give Swineshead the lead.

Fishtoft threw players forward but just couldn’t find that elusive goal to draw level.

Two own goals and another from Shaun Boothby helped Coningsby to a 3-1 home win against Old Leake on Saturday.

Coningsby stunned the visitors with a quick-fire two-goal salvo inside a minute just before the break although the opener appeared to be somewhat fortunate after the referee failed to see a foul on The Old Leake full-back just before they scored.

Old Leake did reduce the arrears after the break when James Brader scored his first goal of the season and Adam Tempest struck a post with a glancing header.

Coningsby wrapped up the points with a third goal in bizarre circumstances when a Leake defender got his legs in a tangle as the ball trickled goalwards and, although he appeared to have time to clear the ball, it ended up squirming into the net to make the final score 3-1.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

Freiston had a surprising 5-0 home win against Old Doningtonians with Nathan Bourne and Troy Ayton grabbing two goals apiece.

Perrie Dale hit the other Freiston goal while Nathan Bourne could have claimed a hat-trick when Troy Ayton, who had already scored two penalties, handed over the job of penalty-taker to the recent signing when the referee awarded another spot-kick.

The Dons’ keeper spoiled his day, however, when he made a good save.

Champions Leverton were still in celebration mode in their away match at Friskney on Saturday when they fell to a 4-1 defeat.

Two first half goals from Victor Sibert and Greg Brown put Friskney in command and Ryan Appleton made it 3-0 midway through the second half with a header from a Sibert cross.

Leverton reduced the arrears to 3-1 before Greg Brown wrapped up the scoring.

Taylors Ford Division Two

Division two Champions Railway Athletic suffered the same fate as their first division compatriots, when they also conceded four goals.

Sibsey were their opponents and although Railway hit three goals through the visitors took the three points with a 4-3 away win.

Coningsby Reserves and Pointon Reserves produced a typical end of season goal-less draw.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

In a late kick-off game on Saturday Wyberton A hit FC Hammers for 10 in a 10-3 home win.

Jason Allen and James Stubbs both hit hat-tricks while the other goals came from Michael Reeson, Michael Smith, Joseph Parla and Ollie Walker.

Boston Saturday League’s last major final takes place on Thursday when Old Leake and Wyberton Reserves battle it out for the Sharman Burgess Sports Cup.

The match will be at Boston Town’s Tattershall Road Ground (KO 7pm).

Related topics: