One game from Hillsborough

TIGERS are just one game away from a Sheffield Senior Cup final at Hillsborough, after their comfortable 3-0 win over Staveley in midweek.

Wednesday night’s contest at Sandy Lane saw them coast to victory over lower league opponents, although it was hardly a vintage performance.

Two goals from Lee Beeson and a Jamie Jackson strike, all in the first half, were enough to send the Miners Welfare side crashing out of the competition.

After a bright start from the hosts Ashley Burbeary sent the game’s first shot well wide of goal, from a decent central position.

Welfare keeper Ed Eley made a real mess of what looked like a straightforward catch after Matt Young had looped the ball into the box, but Craig King fouled his man before striking the post with a half volley, and the whistle went.

A poor centre by Young led to the game’s opening goal, as his over-hit cross found Burbeary on the right and he pinged the ball back into the middle where Beeson rose to power a header into the net.

King’s evening lasted just 30 minutes as he trudged off ill, to be replaced by Jackson.

Burbeary tried to make amends for his earlier effort with a long distance strike at goal, but this one was every bit as wayward as the first.

With two minutes to go in the half some quick thinking from Jackson put Tigers further ahead.

The little striker nipped in to dispossess Tom Jones, went in on Eley and slotted home with aplomb.

Right on half-time Beeson’s second had Worksop cruising.

After a fine move the ball broke to him just outside the area and he took a touch before sending a lovely swerving half volley into the corner of the net for 3-0.

Former Tiger Tom Jones had to be replaced just a couple of minutes into the second period, Luke Forgione taking his place in the centre of the Staveley defence.

There was little the Welfare back four could do when Beeson stepped up to curl a free-kick just wide of the near post on 55 minutes.

Mark Hudson took the next set-piece in a promising position but his effort sailed over.

It was the midfielder’s last meaningful contribution as local lad Adam Colton came on from the bench on 61 minutes.

The game lost its way for a period, with only a lovely nutmeg from Burbeary on the byline for supporters to cheer, although the cross that followed was woeful.

Simon Barraclough had Staveley’s first real chance with almost 70 minutes gone, attempting to chip Jon Worsnop and watching as the ball just cleared the ball.

Under 19 prospect Alex Nightingale made his entrance, moving to the left wing as Burbeary left the game and Beeson switched to the right.

Seconds later Young stormed forward and sent a stinging drive off target, via a deflection.

Worsnop had to make his first save as the game entered the final six minutes, substitute Chris Coy trying to turn the ball home at the post as the keeper got down to clear - twice.

A stirring run from Young saw the makeshift full-back beat three men and cut into the box, squaring the ball unselfishly for Massiah McDonald who scuffed the ball wide from 12 yards.

Related topics: