Professional performance as Trinity grab second win

Gainsborough Trinity secured their second National League North win of the season against a North Ferriby side that didn't really threaten the Holy Blues at the Martin & Co Arena.
Gainsborough Trinity's Ashley Worsfold.Gainsborough Trinity's Ashley Worsfold.
Gainsborough Trinity's Ashley Worsfold.

First half goals from Michael Jacklin and Nathan Jarman were enough to see off the Humberside outfit 2-0 in the bank holiday clash.

In a dramatic exchange of play in the 23rd minute, Trinity could have and perhaps should have taken the lead when Nathan Jarman played a ball in that fell to Alex Simmons. His shot was well saved by Ross Durrant, but the ball then went to Craig King who managed to get a cross in at the second time of asking only for Ashley Worsfold’s header to go well wide of the Ferriby goal.

The game came to life in the 28th minute when Craig King delivered a pinpoint cross to the head of Jacklin, who nodded home through a host of bodies to score his third goal of the season.

From then on Trinity began to dominate and were almost in again when Wafula fired a shot from the six-yard box straight at Ferriby keeper Ross Durrant. Two minutes later they were in again when Ellis Storey fired a ball across goal, but Jarman couldn’t get a foot on it.

King and Storey enjoyed a lot of success going down the left-wing in the first half and on the cusp of half-time King was impeded on the left side, giving Trinity a free-kick in a dangerous position.

King swung in a cross from the free-kick and found the head of captain Jarman at the front post, whose flick-on header flew into the top right corner, giving King his ninth assist of the season.

Into the second half North Ferriby made a couple of changes, replacing Jake Skelton and Akeel Francis with Leigh Hutchinson and Callum Rzonca, and they began to start asking questions.

However, neither side really forced a clear-cut chance until the 77th and 78th minutes when substitute Rzonca cut inside and fired two chances straight at Trinity keeper Henrich Ravas.

Two minutes later Ferriby had their best chance of the match when Mark Gray got on to the end of a corner to fire a powerful header just past the post. Other than that, Ferriby didn’t challenge the Holy Blues’ goal.

Into the five additional minutes of stoppage time in the second half left-back Storey landed awkwardly and had to be treated off the pitch. Trinity had made all three substitutes and had to play for three minutes with only ten men.

Thankfully, for the Holy Blues North Ferriby did not take advantage of the numbers game and the referee called time on what could only be described as a routine, professional performance from the boys in blue.