Three unbeaten as Lake leads Tigers to victory

Worksop Town maintained their unbeaten start under caretaker bosses Andy Lake and Kevin Staniland, with a hard fought 2-1 win at play-off hopefuls Rushall.
Tigers (yellow/blue) v Chorley (red/white)Tigers (yellow/blue) v Chorley (red/white)
Tigers (yellow/blue) v Chorley (red/white)

A battling team performance and goals from Tom Denton and Matt Young put Worksop 2-0 up against 10-man Olympic, who hit back but failed to level.

James Lindley, Martin Ball and Leon Mettam were all unavailable from the side that defeated Chorley, and werereplaced by Paul Bastock, Stuart Ludlam and Nathan Modest; the latter’s first start in the league for the club.

The Pics nearly took an early lead when Dave Walker’s over hit cross had Bastock back peddling to tip the ball onto the top.

Worksop’s first chance of the game fell to Modest when Bastock’s clearance was flicked on by Denton, but his shot was blocked.

From the resulting Steve Towers’ corner, Denton rose to head home and give Tigers a sixth minute lead.

Rushall went in search of an equaliser as Walker blazed wide following good work by Hakeem Islam and Kyle Hynes, then Josh Craddock headed over Grant Beckett’s corner.

Tigers should have made it 2-0 when a quick corner by Craig King to Towers saw his cross find Kern Miller unmarked, but he ballooned his shot straight up in the air.

Midway through the half the Pics had a glorious chance to equalise when the referee awarded them a penalty as Hynes’ cross hit Miller on the hand, however, Walker scuffed the spot-kick wide.

Just past the half hour mark the home side were reduced to 10 men as the referee showed no hesitation in giving a straight red card to Islam for a reckless tackle on Ludlam.

The final chance of the half fell to Walker whose shot was cleared off the line by Ryan Clarke.

Worksop made an excellent start to the second half as good work by Clarke and King set up Young who curled his shot just inside the far post from 20 yards out.

Obeng had a good opportunity to pull a goal back, but shot wide.

Tigers had two good chances to extend their lead as a Towers’ free-kick was headed wide by Denton, then Young fired past the post.

Just past the hour mark the Pics pulled a goal back when Craddock rose unmarked 10 yards out to head home.

Minutes later the ball fell to Walker but with only Bastock to beat he blazed wide.

At the other end Denton nearly extended the Tigers lead as he headed a Towers’ corner off target.

In the final 15 minutes the only chance of note fell to Craddock but his goal bound volley hit his own player.

Related topics: