Tigers hold FC United of Manchester in eight goal thriller

Tigers made it four points from games with FC United this season, thanks to a thrilling 4-4 draw at Gigg Lane.

They led 2-0 at the break, after strangling the Red Rebels’ ability to pass and move, but had to fight back from 4-3 down late on themselves as the hosts dominated.

Astley Mullholland looked lively early on for the hosts, although he was well marshalled by Alex Pursehouse.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jack Muldoon was Tigers threat, going on two surging runs and winning a corner.

It was from that corner that the visitors took the lead, Conor Higginson swinging the ball to the back post where Tom Denton was completely unmarked to head home.

Pressing high up the pitch Worksop made it difficult for FC United, forcing them to kick long.

Laurence Gaughan received a talking to for his challenge on Callum Byrne on the edge of the box, but Liam Brownhill skied the free-kick.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A weak header from Gaughan let Tom Greaves in, and he too fired over.

When Jan Budtz finally had something to do, he beat out Mullholland’s effort.

A period of FC United dominance was broken on 41 minutes when Higginson curled a lovely ball across the pitch, setting Muldoon in - and although he was fouled by Brownhill - he went on to beat Jon Worsnop with a calm finish.

Frustration setting in for the hosts, Byrne hacked down Higginson to see yellow.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Things almost got even better for Tigers when Quinn’s header deceived Worsnop and hit the bar, but Denton couldn’t turn the rebound in.

FC United were expected to come flying out of the traps after the interval, but they gifted Worksop possession within seconds and Denton played it to Mettam who failed to trouble Worsnop.

But the onslaught came, and FC United were level with two goals in two minutes.

First, Greg Daniels found the ball at his feet 15 yards out in acres of space and although he didn’t strike it cleanly, he beat Budtz and found the net.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A minute later Gigg Lane was rocking, Mullholland scampering clear and playing the ball to the back post where Greaves was waiting to score.

There was a golden chance for Higginson to add a goal to his two assists, but after escaping the attentions of Lee Neville he elected to chip and cleared the bar.

But an even better opportunity presented itself on the hour mark as Denton beat Neville at the corner flag, got into the box where Neville fouled him for a penalty.

Mettam stepped up and stroked home for a 3-2 lead.

It didn’t last long however, Greaves slipping past Quinn and sliding under Budtz.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A goal of real beauty and skill brought the house down, as Matthew Wolfenden, off balance, half volleyed over Budtz and in from 25 yards.

He celebrated wildly in the direction of the Tigers bench.

And then watched in despair as they got the last laugh.

Four minutes remained on the clock when the ball was curled into the FC box, Gaughan took a touch and Mettam swivelled to fire home from 10 yards.

In time added on Mike Norton headed miles wide from a glorious cross, and then Worksop very nearly won it.

There was an almighty scramble in the FC United box when Shaq McKenzie’s cross wasn’t fully dealt with, Roe’s shot was blocked and the sides settled for a point apiece.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

FC United: Worsnop, Brownhill, Nevill, Birch, Raglan, Lacy, Wolfenden, Daniels (Norton 63), Greaves, Byrne, Mulholland (Mota 63). Not used: Fox, Rodriguez, Pearson.

Worksop Town: Budtz 6, Pursehouse 6, Roe 6, Scott 6, Quinn 6, Gaughan 6, MULDOON 7 (McKenzie 88), Clarke 7, Denton 7, Mettam 7, Higginson 6 (Adams 69). Not used: Williams, Twell, Barnett.

Referee: Dominic McDonald. Assistants: Daniel Evans, Owen Williams.

Goalscorers: Daniels 50, Greaves 51, 66, Wolfenden 80; Denton 14, Muldoon 41, Mettam 60, 86

Yellows: Byrne 43, Neville 60, Birch 74

Attendance: 1,600.