Trinity out of FA Trophy after penalty shoot-out heartbreak

Gainsborough Trinity finally got to complete their FA Trophy first round proper tie at Spennymoor on Tuesday at the fifth time of asking '” and it was well worth the wait!
Ashley WorsfoldAshley Worsfold
Ashley Worsfold

After three postponements because of freezing weather, Trinity’s fourth attempt to play the match last Thursday was called off because of a waterlogged pitch.

That led to chairman Richard Kane unsuccessfully asking the FA to switch the venue to Gainsborough on Tuesday — although it would have been held at the Northolme on Thursday if Tuesday’s match had also been called off.

But when it finally went ahead, Trinity’s depleted team — players signed after the original date for the match in December were not eligible — matched their high-flying National League North rivals in a pulsating 4-4 draw.

A missed penalty by Nathan Stainfield in the following penalty shoot-out proved crucial, however, as the visitors went out 5-3.

It was rough on Trinity, for whom Liam King and Craig King both converted their penalties before Stainfield’s miss. Jordan Richards also scored in the shoot-out.

Manager Dave Frecklington would have been proud, though, with the way his side competed over the 120 minutes of pulsating Trophy action.

Spennymoor took a 14th minute lead through David Foley, but four minutes later Ashley Worsfold converted a fine cross from the returning Bradley Wells.

In the 28th minute the home side restored their lead, only for Curtis Bateson to find a second leveller within three minutes with a low shot at the near post.

Stainfield and Worsfold were denied further goals before half-time by good saves.

Spennymoor hit the post at the start of the second period and were also thwarted by fine stops from Trinity keeper Henrich Ravas — who later repeated his heroics in extra-time.

Those first stops looked vital when Worsfold struck again in the 66th minute, capitalising on a poor clearance to give the visitors the lead for the first time.

They defended well, but four minutes from time Ryan Hall’s 25-yard cracker forced extra-time — and within 120 seconds Glen Taylor made it 4-3 to Spennymoor.

Never-say-die Trinity hung on, however, and in the 95th minute a Wells cross was headed down by Craig King for Alex Simmons to level at 4-4.