Victory in thrilling seven goal contest

WORKSOP Town do not offer up low scoring affairs for the supporters.

This one probably should have been more comfortable, but in the end Tigers brought the points back from the seaside and made it two wins from two under Simon Clark.

It was a game billed as a six pointer for both sides, particularly for Whitby Town, still looking for their first home league win of the season.

But Worksop took a very early lead on six minutes when a tame looking effort from 25 yards out by Ash Burbeary appeared to skid off the wet surface and beat the diving Whitby keeper Tom Courtney, who many home supporters thought should have done better.

Whitby pushed forward in search of a reply but lots of their passing was wayward and as with so many of their recent performances, they lacked threat near goal, with the Worksop defence easily being able to tidy up any moves around the area.

But Whitby did raise the home supporters when Ibby Hassan played a neat one two with Dave McTiernan and just as he was about to unleash his shot at goal, he was thwarted by a superb block tackle from Luke Shiels.

Minutes later from the edge of the visitor’s box, Matty Tymon hit a shot inches over the bar and the beaten Worksop shot stopper, Jon Worsnop.

But the visitors looked much more comfortable on the ball and were rewarded with their second goal on 37 minutes following half a dozen passes which ended with the impressive Jamie Jackson stretching out for a shot low into the bottom right corner of the Whitby net.

Whitby failed to re-group quickly enough and were further punished four minutes later when Steve Gardner picked up a pass at the edge of the area and calmly placed his side foot effort past Courtney for a deserved 3-0 lead.

The hosts made an early second half substitution, taking off Lewis Hawkins and replacing him with Sam Hodgson, but it was Worksop who again could have further capitalised on their lead on 55 minutes when the ever dangerous Jackson again slipped past his marker, Hassan, and squared the ball towards three team mates, only for Whitby’s captain, Mark Robinson to make a saving clearance.

Whitby were mostly on the back foot but with 62 minutes gone, they clawed a goal back when McTiernan struck a shot into the bottom right hand corner.

However, before the crowd could digest that Whitby had got the goal back, the visitors regained their three-goal advantage when once again, Worksop’s Man of the Match Jackson, turned inside his marker and drilled a low shot inside the near post for his second and Worksop’s fourth goal of the game.

Worksop then made three fairly quick substitutions with Burbeary, Massiah McDonald and Luke Sharry being replaced by Sam Duncum, Danny Davidson and Joe Fox and although the visitors continued to look the better side, Whitby scored their second goal from a deep corner in the 79th minute,

The unmarked McTiernan, at the back of the area, drove his shot goalward, only to see it bounce off the post and be scrambled into the back of the net by the incoming Tymon.

With five minutes left, Jackson again battled his way through and just as he was about to despatch the ball at goal, his effort was smothered at his feet by the outcoming Whitby keeper, Courtney.

The gamehad one last twist, after what was nearly six minutes of time added on by the referee. A deep cross from Whitby’s Callum Martin towards Kevin Burgess in the Worksop area, saw both Burgess and keeper Worsnop fall to the ground.

After a small confrontation between the two players, the referee consulted his assistant and awarded Whitby a penalty, after booking Worsnop, for deemed him to have pulled down Burgess.

The resultant penalty kick was converted by Robinson although Worsnop was unlucky in that he got a hand to it and pushed it in off the post. In the end, the visitors took the spoils in a game that, to be fair, ended with a scoreline which somewhat flattered Whitby who were less than impressive on the night.