VIDEO: Young Tigers beat Linnets on penalties

A young Worksop Town side squeezed past Kings Lynn Town in the Doodson Sport Cup, thanks to a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday.

The Tigers team, including five players young enough to represent the club at Under 19 level, drew 3-3 in 90 minutes and won the shoot-out 7-6.

The first shot of the evening came from the visitors, Gregory Mills drilling one across the face of goal and wide.

Marc Goodfellow then stripped Tigers captain for the evening Ellis Wall, and shot from eight yards, Jan Budtz making a fine save.

The hosts, with only Reece Twell up front, didn’t muster a shot at goal until Jack Barnett curled a free-kick over the bar.

Poor play from Wall gifted the Linnets the ball again, Jake Jones scampering past Josh Davies and shooting, Adam Quinn keeping him out.

Tigers best move of the opening half hour saw Twell feed Harry Johnson, and the teenager lobbed it forward for Jordan Lemon who shot wide.

Budtz, by far the busier of the two keepers, was in action once more as Goodfellow tried his luck from just outside the box, palming a low shot past the post.

A cross by Mills on the right gave Ewan Clarke a golden chance to open the scoring, but his attempted flick fell wide.

Some direct running from Twell gave him his first sight of goal, bringing a routine save from Bradley Stewart.

After an inspid first half, the game was in desperate need of a goal, and got it just four minutes after the break.

Lemon turned and raced into space down the right, looking up to pick out Josh Davies, and the man from Harworth slotted home with ease.

Another inviting ball from Lemon found Harry Johnson and after flicking over his marker his shot was blocked.

Worksop didn’t have to wait long for number two however, Twell showing bravery, strength and pace to storm down the left flank, crossing to the middle for Lemon to touch it on to Wall, the skipper slamming into the bottom corner.

Twell and Wall linked up again a minute later, the latter running all the way to the edge of the box before shooting straight at Stewart.

Kings Lynn got a lifeline just before the hour mark, as the linesman flagged for a handball in the box by Chris Salt, and Andrew Hall - on as a sub - netted from the spot.

Quinn picked up the first yellow of the game for his cynical foul on the rampaging Jake Jones, halting a promising Kings Lynn attack in a spell of good pressure.

Jones got a measure of revenge a minute later however, blasting home from just outside the area.

Hall had a chance to add his second, and Lynn’s third, but skied his shot from no more than six yards out with Budtz scrambling.

And the Tigers keeper was helpless in the 84th minute, as Goodfellow fired home a sublime free-kick from 25 yards, giving the Linnets the lead f.

There was to be late drama though, in time added on, substitute Tom Mullen beating his marker impressively before putting in the perfect cross for Lemon to leap and nod in off the bar - the referee and his linesman taking their time before confirming the goal.

With no extra-time, the two teams were to be separated by spot-kicks.

For Worksop, Jack Barnett, Mullen, Lemon, Salt, Nick Hague and Reece Twell all netted, only Josh Davies missing, before former Tiger Ryan Clarke blazed over, and Josh Williams stroked home the winning penalty.

Worksop: Budtz 7, Hague 6, Williams 6, Davies 6, Quinn 7, Salt 7, LEMON 7, Barnett 6, Twell 6, Wall 6, Johnson 6 (Mullen 73). Not used: Pursehouse, Scott, S. Clarke, Denton.

Kings Lynn: Stewart, Stocker, Yong, Ward, R. Clarke, Thomson, Mill, Quigley (Hall 58), E. Clarke (Mulready 74), Jones (Butt 85), Goodfellow. Not used: Fryatt, Butt.

Referee: R. West. Assistants: A. Dunne, D. Parkinson.

Goalscorers: Davies 49, Wall 53, Lemon 90; Hall 60, Jones 70, Goodfellow 84

Yellows: Quinn 69, Williams 90

Attendance: 217.