Worksop Town: Tigers nine unbeaten after win over Grantham Town

Worksop Town extended their unbeaten run in the league to nine matches with a 3-1 win over Grantham Town as they moved level on points with second placed Chorley.
Worksop Town v Grantham Town, pictured is Leon Mettam (w131214-5c)Worksop Town v Grantham Town, pictured is Leon Mettam (w131214-5c)
Worksop Town v Grantham Town, pictured is Leon Mettam (w131214-5c)

Josh Hill headed over from Phil Roe’s free kick, before Conor Higginson saw his shot

comfortably saved by Dan Haystead as the Tigers made the better start to the game.

Tom Denton was next to go close for the Tigers, putting a free header over the bar from Roe’s corner.

Grantham’s first chance arrived on 12 minutes when Kyle Dixon’s free kick on the edge of the penalty area was deflected for a corner.

Midway through the half the visitors should have taken the lead when Malachi Lavell-Moore saw his shot superbly parried onto the cross bar at close range by Jan Budtz, with Lavell-Moore’s follow up shot well blocked for a corner.

Minutes later Leon Mettam got the better of Adie Hawes as he latched on to a long ball only for the ‘keeper to pull off a tremendous low save to deny the Tigers.

As the hosts continued to press, Jake Scott whipped in an excellent free kick across the six-yard box that just eluded the Tigers’ attack.

With half time approaching the Tigers were to suffer a blow when Laurence Gaughan had to be replaced after jarring his knee.

Denton dropped back to centre half, Jack Muldoon moving to a more central position with Jack Adams coming on as the Tigers reorganised.

Worksop took the lead nine minutes into the second half, Mettam seeing his shot blocked, the ball falling to Roe whose cross from the left was met by Higginson and although Haystead saved his first attempt he bungled home the rebound from close range.

Higginson saw his shot blocked by Lee Ridley, the ball falling into the path of Adams who shot over from the edge of the penalty area as the Tigers looked for a second goal.

The Tigers deservedly doubled the lead on 66 minutes when Jamie McGhee brought down Mettam, the striker firing home the resulting penalty.

Dixon flashed a shot just wide of the post as the visitors looked for an immediate response.

However, the Tigers were soon on the attack again, Muldoon shooting just wide following good work by Roe and Cole down the left. Then Shane Clarke blazed over from 20 yards out.

Grantham pulled a goal back on 73 minutes, Lavell-Moore’s effort from Dixon’s free kick coming back off the post onto Budtz and rebounding into the net.

Mettam then had two excellent chances to extend the lead. Firstly ghosting in at the back post only for Haystead to produce another excellent low save by the post. Then putting a free header off target from Scott’s corner.

The Tigers defended resolutely as the game entered the final minutes as the visitors started to exert more and more pressure.

However, the nearest they came to scoring was a header well over the bar by Lavell-Moore from Dixon’s corner.

With the game deep into added time Worksop made it 3-1 to secure the points. Cole released Mettam down the left, who appeared to push Paul Lister.

But the referee waved play on, the striker cut inside before driving a low shot past Haystead for his 30th goal of the season.