Karting: Thrills and spills as Woodthorpe Championships return

A strong entry of 60 drivers provided some close racing as Woodthorpe Kart Club hosted round four of its championship.

Liam Hartley (19) accelerates away in the Hondas class as Ellis Ramella (25) takes to the grass with Lucas Belt (6) giving chase EMN-160106-171604002

First out were the five to seven-year-old Bambino’s class where Lincoln Douglas, from Wisbech, overcame a first race DNF to win the final ahead of Casey Neve, from Bourne. Local girl Aimee Hartley finished fourth.

Grimsby’s Chloe Buckley returned to assert authority in Cadet Libra, while Cameron Belt was overall winner in the Honda’s class and drive of the day came from Cadwell’s Liam Hartley to finish second from Scunthorpe’s Josah Atkin.

In Mini-Max, battle resumed between Louth driver Daniel Drury and Barton’s Jack Badley. With the points tied, Daniel won the final to claim the trophy.

Club champion William Ashe returned to Junior Max and would have dominated had he not suffered an electrical fault in heat two. Louth’s David Darnborough finished second from Brocklesby’s Ben Arden.

The Ingoldmells driver Kurt Davies suffered a broken rear axle in the Senior Max class before bouncing back to win the final.

Max-177 had the spectators on their toes every time they came on track with a constant four-way fight for the lead.

Lincoln’s Damo Mott took the win ahead of Scunthorpe’s reigning champion Sam Scott with Louth’s Wayne Hutson having to settle for third. Louth’s Dan Ireland made his debut at Strubby and led for much of heat two.

Dayle Hartley made his return to the Aircooled F100s class and was in the thick of it with Louth’s Chris Balderson and Josh Denny, from Grimsby. Chris took the chequered flag in heat one before Dayle won the second race followed by Chris and Josh. Things started with a bang in hest three as Josh and Chris touched wheels causing Chris to clip the rear of Dayle’s kart.

Josh and Chris went spinning onto the grass, and Dayle spun, finished upside down in the centre of the track, leaving him with concussion and bruising.

Open Class saw wins for Charles Tibbet, from Thurlaston, ahead of Gainsborough’s Steven Birkett, and Ollie Ridout came out on top in the KZ125s from Lincoln’s Wal Coward and Brocklesby’s Mark Arden.

Boston’s Chris Beeson and Matt Fox, from Wisbech, shared the 250 Gearbox points with Matt winning the final as John Beeson sneaked through for second.