Isle of Man TT: Mixed bag for Louth rider Hickman

Louth motorcycle racer Peter Hickman had a mixed bag of results at this year's Isle of Man TT festival despite a blistering start to his fortnight.

Hickman in action in the lightweight class race Picture: Peter Bull EMN-160613-143237002

Hickman began with a fantastic result of fourth in the Superbike race on Saturday, posting his fastest-ever lap around the island course of 132.892mph lap on only his third year of racing at the TT.

Lady luck deserted the Lincolnshire rider on Monday when he was forced out of the Supersport race with a water leak before retiring with a puncture in the Superstock event later that day.

In the first of his two races on Wednesday Hicky completed the four laps in the second Supersport race in a strong eighth place.

Peter Hickman.

After his non-finish in race one, the team checked the bike for every detail to make sure the Iron Maiden Trooper Kawasaki was in pristine condition.

Hickman said: “We are not sure what happened on Monday, but I had only travelled six miles before I noticed water gushing out of the bike.

“I immediately pulled in to check it was water and not oil and found a fault with the water pump. I tried to fix it and with the help of a spectator managed to make a temporary repair which enabled me to ride back to the pits and pulled in to retire.

“I also retired from the Superstock race so it was a bad day all round for me. But this is only my third year at the TT and to just have two retirements to my name is not bad going.”

Peter Hickman.

Later in the day the Lincolnshire rider returned to action on the Burrows Engineering Kawasaki in the Lightweight class.

He was up to 10th at the first checkpoint of Glen Helen, but a technical problem forced his retirement at Westwood a few minutes later.

Hickman was hoping for a good run in the Senior TT on Friday and began well, taking third position on time on the first lap. He held the position and was going well throughout lap two, but retired at Brandywell just before the end of the lap with a technical problem on the GBmoto Kawasaki.

“Sometimes things are just not meant to be,” he said. “I tried hard, learnt a lot, was fast and the podium was on.

“I could not have done anymore than I did in these last two weeks. Thanks to all of the boys and girls of the GBmoto team, John Burrows and his team, all my personal sponsors and all the fans for their support over the last two weeks.

“Looking positive I did record my personal best time and result of fourth in the first race of the week and I am really happy with that. I will be back next year to have another ride around this fantastic course.”

He now turns his attentions to the British Superbike Championship at Knockhill, in Scotland, on Sunday, June 26 and will be at Snetterton for the final BSB test days on June 15 and 16.