Boston United fightback to secure 2-2 draw with Kettering Town

Boston United 2 Kettering Town 2
Luke Shiels. Photo: Oliver Atkin.Luke Shiels. Photo: Oliver Atkin.
Luke Shiels. Photo: Oliver Atkin.

Boston United fought back from 2-0 down to secure a point against Kettering Town.

Quickfire first-half finishes from Connor Kennedy and Decarrey Sheriff put Paul Cox's side in front at the Jakemans Community Stadium before Jordan Burrow and Luke Shiels responded after the break.

The result sees Unites extend the unbeaten run to seven matches, but there will be frustrations in the dressing room at what might have been as Craig Elliott's side dropped to sixth in the National League North.

The first chance of the night saw Joe Leesley, fresh from extending his loan stay from Harrogate Town, force a save from Adam Collin.

In response, Michael McGrath's dipping free kick lacked the sting to trouble Ross Fitzsimons.

Back came Boston, but Fraser Preston's header loped over the bar and Connor Dimaio's effort, following some fancy footwork on the edge of the box, saw an effort fly off target.

The Poppies' burly striker Kyle Perry missed a sitter at the back post, somehow volleying behind him with the goal at his mercy after a fine run and cross from ex-Pilgrim Ben Milnes.

But that was soon forgotten as Kettering scored twice in as many minutes.

Kennedy's tame shot crept in as the hosts failed to clear their lines before, seconds later, Sheriff's effort squirmed in through the legs of Fitzsimons after the Poppies man had cut in on the right.

United had conceded just once in the previous six games, that tally doubled in the space of seconds by Town with questions asked whether the Boston keeper could have done better on both occasions.

Fitzsimons had to be alert to deny Sheriff at his near post before, moments into the second half, tipping Kennedy's effort over.

With 59 minutes gone Boston clawed their way back into the game, Burrow netting his fifth goal of the season.

Collecting Preston's ball just yards from goal he composed himself before slamming home beyond the helpless Collin.

And the hosts were level almost as quickly as Town stormed into a two-goal lead as Shiels levelled in the 63rd minute, heading home after a deep delivery evaded the reach of Collin.

Leesley tested Collin with a 20-yard drive which was too central to beat the Poppies keeper while Callum Powell fired over at the other end.

UNITED: Fitzsimons, Tootle, Duxbury, Platt, Shiels, Burrow, Bird, Dimaio (Thanoj 86), Hawkridge (Rollins 62), Preston (Thewlis 80), Leesley; Subs not used): Garner, Green.

KETTERING: Collin, Stohrer, Johnson, Milnes, Fryatt, McGrath, Powell, Kennedy, Richens, Sheriff, Perry (Hughes 67); Subs (not used): Jones, Stephens, Bailey-Nicholls, Anderson.

REF: Aaron Bannister.

MORE PILGRIMS: Leesley signs extension

MORE PILGRIMS: Elliott reacts to Alfreton Town postponement

MORE PILGRIMS: 2020 was a bizarre year for United - look back

MORE PILGRIMS: Boston United is a club ready to go places - Paul Green

MORE PILGRIMS: Hard work pays off for Fraser Preston