Darren Chambers tragically lost his infant son, Conner James Chambers, when he was just three weeks old back in March 2011.
Conner’s headstone, at the London Road Cemetery, is often adorned with flowers and ornaments - and a small decorative fence has surrounded the grave for several years.
Just one week ago, Darren decided to replace the worn old fence and replace it with a new one, which he hammered down firmly in place - but when he returned to his son’s graveside on Thursday evening (July 16) it had gone.
A ‘disgusted’ Darren told the Leader that the fence had clearly been removed by force, and stolen from the cemetery.
No other graves had been subjected to any thefts or damage, leading Darren to believe that this was a targeted act against Conner’s grave.
Darren said: “There has been fencing up for nine years, and nothing like this has ever happened before.
“I think it’s targeted, as I only put up the new fence just last week. Only a few people knew I was putting it up.
“I spoke to the guy up at the cemetery and he said it won’t have been kids, as they would have probably targeted other graves too.
“I’m disgusted that someone would do this. It’s disgraceful. It’s making me ill.”
This week, a Lincolnshire Police spokesman said: “At 8pm on July 16, we received a report that fencing around a grave had been removed.
“We are investigating this as a theft, and anyone with information should call 101 quoting 412 of July 16.”
Alternatively, you can contact CrimeStoppers by calling 0800 55511 anonymously.